HARTFORD, CT (1010 WINS) -- Ninety-nine people in Connecticut were hospitalized with COVID-19 as of Sunday evening, marking the lowest number of hospitalizations the state has seen since March, Gov. Ned Lamont said Monday.
COVID-19 hospitalizations peaked on April 24, when 1,971 people across Connecticut were hospitalized with complications related to the virus, Lamont wrote on Twitter. Since then, the number of hospitalizations has been "steadily declining."
"This is the first time since March 24, during the initial outbreak of the pandemic, that the total number of hospitalizations in Connecticut dipped below 100," he tweeted.
Lamont also reported 59 new COVID-19 cases and four new deaths on Monday, brinigng the state's case total to 46,362 and its death toll to 4,320.
"These are all numbers we can be proud of, especially when you see what's going on around the rest of the country," he said during his daily briefing.
Still, he noted, Connecticut residents should continue to wear face coverings and maintain social distancing. "I do get anxious, because there's a very narrow margin for error," he said.
Connecticut on Monday also released the state's plan for school reopenings. Last week, Lamont and Department of Education Commissioner Miguel Cardona said schools across the state should plan to reopen to students this fall, with health and safety protocols in place.