NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- The first of several Macy’s fireworks displays will launch from an undisclosed location on Monday evening as part of an effort to keep spectators from gathering in large groups.
The department store chain is “reimagining” its annual Fourth of July fireworks spectacle in light of the COVID-19 pandemic by setting off five-minute fireworks displays from unspecified locales across the five boroughs starting Monday, June 29, it said in a release.
The displays will take place on “select evenings” — at unspecified times — throughout the week, culminating with a final show on July 4.
“Each five-minute display will feature Macy’s signature pyrotechnic scale with thousands of shells reaching heights up to 1,000 feet,” the chain said in a statement. “Each show is brief and will be over before residents can gather at its source.”
"The displays will be launched from one or two land or water based locations over the course of the week-long celebration covering every borough of New York City," the statement added.
All of the displays will be recorded and broadcast as part of a Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular, which is airing on NBC from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. on July 4. The special will include the live July 4 fireworks show.
Macy’s and Mayor Bill de Blasio first announced plans for the “surprise” displays last week.
“These past few months have been some of the most difficult in our city’s history, and New Yorkers are looking for a break,” de Blasio said in a statement.
“This 4th of July celebration with Macy’s will give all New Yorkers a safe and exciting way to enjoy the holiday together, even when we are apart,” he added.