NEWARK, N.J. (1010 WINS) -- Starting August 3, the collection of cash fares and front door boarding on buses will resume, NJ Transit announced Thursday.
As part of NJ Transit’s "Your Ride to Recovery" program, bus fleets will have protective barriers installed around the bus operator aimed to protect the spread of COVID-19.
Cash fares and front door boarding will remain temporarily suspended for buses without barriers installed.
"Now that we’ve installed hundreds of protective barriers near bus operators to protect both bus operators and customers, we can safely and efficiently resume the collection of cash fares, following the July 6 resumption of the collection of cash fares on board trains," said NJ Transit President & CEO Kevin Corbett. "I am confident that by using best practices and health guidelines, we’ve taken the necessary steps to resume these services as safely as possible."
Customers are still strongly encouraged to purchase tickets prior to boarding by using the NJ TRANSIT mobile app or ticket vending machines and any customers opting to use cash are strongly encouraged to have exact change to minimize contact with operators, the agency said in a statement.
Earlier this month, Gov. Phil Murphy issued an executive order that requires all NJ Transit staff and customers to wear masks.