NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- Gov. Andrew Cuomo will sign an executive order requiring travelers flying into New York state from Europe to fill out COVID-19 contact tracing forms, his press secretary said Thursday.
The Centers for Disease Control "inexplicably" rolled back its screening procedures for international travelers flying into the U.S. earlier this month, Melissa DeRosa, secretary to the governor, said at a news briefing on Thursday.
As a result, the state will step in and require travelers to "abide by our same contact tracing protocols for (travelers) that come in from infected states across the country," she said.
Travelers entering New York from states that have been designated COVID-19 hotspots are currently required to fill out a "Traveler Health Form" and self-quarantine for 14 days, or face a $2,000 fine.
"We're going to mandate that you have to fill out the forms (so) that we're able to keep track of the people who are coming in from Europe," DeRosa said. "But unfortunately, the federal government is directly responsible for any screenings at the airport. It is their jurisdiction."
"The CDC, the FDA, the federal government (have) direct oversight of international travel.... That's how we got here to begin with," she added. "They did a travel ban coming from China. They neglected to do a travel ban coming from Europe."
It wasn't immediately clear when Cuomo plans to sign the executive order.