Conn. sees 'biggest increase' in COVID hospitalizations since 2nd wave hit: Lamont

Connecticut
Photo credit John Moore/Getty Images

HARTFORD, CT (1010 WINS) -- More than 70 people in Connecticut were admitted to hospitals for COVID-19 treatment in a 24-hour span, marking the “biggest increase” in hospitalizations the state has recorded since its second wave hit, Gov. Ned Lamont said Wednesday.

As of Tuesday evening, 968 people in the state were hospitalized with COVID-19, up by 77 from Monday evening, Lamont said at a news briefing.

“Seventy-seven hospitalizations is probably the biggest increase, by far, that we’ve had since this second wave, since this surge,” Lamont said. “We’ve been averaging about 22 a day for the last week.”

Of the 31,232 COVID-19 test results that came back in the state on Tuesday, 1,872, or 5.99 percent, were positive, he said. Connecticut also reported 45 new COVID-19-related fatalities, pushing its death toll to 4,926.

“That reflects the hospitalizations from a few weeks ago,” Lamont said of the new deaths. “We’ve been averaging about 15 [deaths] a day.”

The governor urged residents who will be celebrating Thanksgiving or shopping on Black Friday to take precautions.

Retailers in Connecticut will be offering “safe shopping” options including contactless curbside pickup and reserved time slots, he said.

Businesses that violate the state's COVID-19 rules — including store capacity limits — will face $10,000 fines, he noted.

“We’re doing that not just to keep your patrons safe, those around you, but to make sure we can do everything we can to keep your stores open during this amazing shopping holiday season,” he said.