Suffolk County Executive: 'Worst' of the holiday COVID-19 surge may be 'behind us'

Steve Bellone
Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone. Photo credit Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- Suffolk County reported a COVID-19 infection rate below 10 percent for the fourth day in a row on Tuesday, a possible sign that the “worst of the holiday surge is behind us,” County Executive Steve Bellone said.

Of the 17,303 COVID-19 test results that came back in the county on Monday, 1,667, or 9.6 percent, were positive, Bellone said on social media.

“Although it is too early to call this a pattern, our hope is that this signifies that the worst of the holiday surge is behind us,” he wrote. “As I said last week, now is the time for us to get these numbers back under control.”

“If we continue to limit gatherings, practice social distancing, and wear masks, in conjunction with vaccinations ramping up, we will save lives and accelerate our recovery,” he added. “Remember, vigilance got us through the first wave, and it will get us through the second.”

While Suffolk County’s infection rate has been lower in recent days, its daily COVID-19 death toll has been among the highest in the state.

The county reported 15 new COVID-19-related deaths on Sunday, 13 deaths on Monday and 20 deaths on Tuesday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office said in a press release.