Notre Dame postpones upcoming Wake Forest game amid spate of coronavirus cases

75756A5E-120A-4932-810C-2FD980DB785E

Notre Dame on Tuesday announced the indefinite postponement of its Saturday game against Wake Forest in Winston-Salem, N.C., after several players tested positive for coronavirus.

The 2-0 Fighting Irish, ranked No. 7 in the AP Top 25 Poll, said in a statement that seven of 94 COVID-19 tests administered to players on Monday came back positive.

The seven players were in isolation, and their contacts were being traced, the statement said. Combined with positive cases from the prior week, Notre Dame had a total of 13 players in isolation and 10 in quarantine.

"With student-athlete health and safety our primary focus, we will continue to follow our prevention protocols and ongoing testing procedures," said head coach Brian Kelly. "We managed an increase in positive rates in August, and the players handled it wonderfully."

The process of rescheduling the game was underway, the school said.

Notre Dame's football program is technically independent but became a de facto football member of the ACC, along with the rest of the school's teams, several years ago.

The Fighting Irish got off to a nice start, handling Duke with relative ease in their opener before trouncing South Florida last week.

The postponement comes only a week after the Big Ten reversed course from its initial decision to suspend its football season until the spring, instead targeting a mid- or late-October restart.

The Pac-12 was said to be considering similar steps, though it appeared that the schools were divided on whether and how to proceed.