Veronica Hendrix is the creator of the popular cooking blog "Collard Greens and Caviar". She is also our resident food expert here at the Wave. Recently Veronica called to tell me about a new holiday cocktail/mocktail that she created and now we want to share it with you for the holidays and the new year to come. Veronica gave me a virtual lesson plus we'll include the full recipe for you here. Enjoy! And from our family to yours, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Chai Spiced and Orange Mocktail/Cocktail
3 Stash Chai tea bags (we used Chai Spice and Ginger Fire Chai)
3 Cups hot water
4-5 medium sized oranges (you need to yield 1 cup of juice)
¼ cup white granulated sugar (use ½ cup if you want a sweeter tea)
1 cup cold water
Your favorite spirit (we used Skyy Vodka and Cazadores Tequila)
1. Add three cups of water to a sauce pot and heat until very hot (190 – 210 degrees Fahrenheit) or pour three cups of water in a bowl and heat microwave until hot.
2. Add three tea bags to hot water and steep for at least 10 minutes. Remove tea bags and cool for 20 minutes. Pour the tea into a lovely pitcher or carafe.
3. Wash the oranges to remove any residue or dirt.
4. Roll oranges on the countertop with your palm to help them release more juice.
5. Cut the oranges in half with a sharp knife.
7. Pour the freshly squeezed orange juice into the tea. Strain to remove the pulp if you prefer pulp-free orange juice.
8. Add sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved.
· Option 1: Mocktail – pour over ice and serve.
· Option 2: Shaken Cocktail – Add two shots of the tea mixture and one part of your favorite spirit to a martini shaker with ice and shake well. Serve in a martini glass, garnish with an orange peel twist.
· Option 3: Stirred Cocktail – Pour two shots of the tea mixture and one part of your favorite spirit into an old fashioned glass with ice. Stir and garnish with an orange peel twist.
· Option 4: Add 1 cup of vodka, tequila or gin to the orange spiced chai pitcher or carafe mixture. Stir and serve in glasses filled with ice.
Tequila with Stash Chai Spice
Vodka with Stash Vanilla Chai
Gin with Stash Ginger Fire Chai
About Veronica Hendrix
Veronica Hendrix is Los Angeles based journalist, cooking coach, recipe developer, Food Network finalist and podcaster. She is the creator of the blog collardgreensandcaviar.com where she shares recipes and tells stories featuring food enthusiasts and culinary experts, in addition to her own experiences in the kitchen. At the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, she launched a cooking podcast from her Los Angeles kitchen, where she can be heard on 947thewave.radio.com stepping listeners through some of her favorite recipes. She was the project manager and co-writer of the Los Angeles Sentinel Newspaper “Taste of Soul Cookbook” published in 2013, and has appeared as a guest chef on the City of Torrance Community Cooking Show.
Blog: collardgreensandcaviar.com. Social media sites – Instagram: @collardgreenscaviar
Food journalist, cookbook author, food blogger, food influencer & Food Network finalist
Cook fearlessly, eat well.