Melvin Gordon, who is slated to make $5.6 million this season, appears committed to his offseason holdout and has even requested a trade from the Los Angeles Chargers.
Ultimately, how will this situation unfold?
“Just don’t have an update right now,” Chargers GM Tom Telesco told Bill Reiter, who was filling in as host of The Jim Rome Show. “We’re preparing with what we have with Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson. They got some time last year, they got most of the reps through the offseason program, they’ve gotten most of the reps through the preseason, and we have to have different plans for different scenarios. That’s the one we have to work on right now. We’ll have a plan if Melvin is here, and we’ll have a plan if he’s not.”
Gordon, a two-time Pro Bowler, has rushed for 2,987 yards and 28 touchdowns over his last three seasons. The Chargers, however, went 4-0 without Gordon last year.
Perhaps that’s why they’re unwilling to give him exactly what he wants?
“I think that’s a bit harsh,” Telesco said. “I think that’s a bit of a generalization just to look at one player who wasn’t there. I don’t think that’s entirely true. It just is what it is right now. I’d like to think that I’m pretty good at bridging the gap, not just in this situation, but others – whether it’s a financial disagreement, a philosophical disagreement, whether it’s a meeting with a coach or a scout or a player or an agent. Just this situation, I haven’t been able to bridge it with this one. So it’s our job to have a plan in place whether the player is here or not here.”
Telesco does not know whether Gordon, 26, will be in uniform when the Chargers open the season against the Colts on Sept. 8.
“I don’t really put a confidence level on it,” he said. “I’m not going to make any predictions. We have to prepare and have plans for all different situations. I don’t really concern myself with making guesses or trying to figure out what the percentages would be, but we’ll have a plan no matter what.”