DALLAS (KRLD) - Dr. Amanda Hoelscher with Key-Whitman Eye Center in Dallas says around 19% of all fireworks injuries each year are eye injuries.
Dr. Hoelscher says, "One of the biggest misconceptions is that sparklers aren't dangerous and that small children can handle them.
But, sparklers burn up to 1800°F which can lead to a very serious injury."
Dr. Hoelscher says, "I've seen a burn to the cornea from a sparkler. Thank goodness that wasn't anything serious that led to permanent vision loss. But, it certainly could have."
She says if you injure your eye, don't rub it or rinse it. Instead, put a cup over the eye and head to the emergency room.