KENOSHA, Wis. (WBBM NEWSRADIO) -- President Donald Trump is expected Tuesday to travel to Kenosha, Wisconsin over a week after the police shooting of Jacob Blake, which sparked days of protests, unrest, and even a shooting that killed two people and injured a third.
Elected officials in Kenosha, Wisconsin said Monday they were grateful for a peaceful weekend as they prepare for President Trump’s visit Tuesday — whether they want it or not.
Kenosha County Sheriff David Beth said the temperature seems to have gone down, based on cooperation he’s seeing in the community. But Mayor John Antaramian said the timing of Trump’s visit — amid potential flareups over the recent police shooting of a Black man — is not ideal.
“It would be better for us to have the community be able to pull together, let the community get together,” Antaramian said. “It would have been nice if he’d waited awhile a little longer down the road, but it is what it is.”
What Time Will Trump Be In Kenosha?
Per the President's schedule, this is how his visit looks:
• 10:30 a.m. EDT - President Donald Trump departs the White House North Portico en route to Joint Base Andrews
• 10:55 a.m. EDT - Trump arrives at Joint Base Andrews
• 11:05 a.m. EDT - Trump departs Washington, D.C., en route to Waukegan, IL
• 11:55 a.m. CDT - Trump arrives at Waukegan National Airport
• 12:05 p.m. CDT - Trump departs Waukegan, IL, en route to Kenosha, WI
• 12:35 p.m. CDT - Trump arrives at property affected by recent riots in Kenosha, WI
• 12:40 p.m. CDT - Trump surveys property affected by recent riots in Kenosha, WI
• 1 p.m. CDT - Trump departs property affected by recent riots en route to Mary D. Bradford High School
• 1:10 p.m. CDT - Trump arrives at Mary D. Bradford High School in Kenosha, WI
• 1:15 p.m. CDT - Trump tours the Emergency Operations Center in Kenosha, WI
• 1:30 p.m. CDT - Trump participates in a roundtable on Wisconsin Community Safety
• 2:20 p.m. CDT - Trump departs Kenosha, WI, en route to Waukegan, IL
• 2:50 p.m CDT - Trump arrives at Waukegan National Airport
• 3 p.m. CDT - Trump departs Waukegan, IL, en route to Washington, D.C.
• 5:40 p.m. EDT - Trump arrives at Joint Base Andrews
• 5:50 p.m. EDT - Trump departs Joint Base Andrews en route to the White House
• 6:15 p.m. EDT - Trump arrives at the White House
According to the White House, President Trump will meet with members of local law enforcement and survey damage following unrest.
President Trump confirmed Monday evening that he doesn't have plans to meet with the family of Jacob Blake.
It is not expected that the President will visit the site of the shooting.
What Is The Reason For The Visit?
President Trimp said he wants to thank local law enforcement and the National Guard.
He tweeted early Monday: "If I didn’t INSIST on having the National Guard activate and go into Kenosha, Wisconsin, there would be no Kenosha right now. Also, there would have been great death and injury. I want to thank Law Enforcement and the National Guard. I will see you on Tuesday!"
WBBM Newsradio's Craig Dellimore will be reporting live from Kenosha throughout the day on Tuesday.