R. Kelly Denies Accusations in First Interview Since Last Month's Arrest

The R&B singer called allegations a smear campaign
Photo credit Scott Olson/Getty Images
By , RADIO.COM

Defiantly, R&B singer R. Kelly has told told CBS This Morning's Gayle King that he is innocent.

In his first interview since being arrested on sexual abuse charges last month, Kelly denied having sex with underage girls and called the accusations a smear campaign. Speaking directly into the camera at one point, the singer said, "hate me if you want to, love me if you want, but just use your common sense." He went on to say, "I didn't do this stuff! This is not me!"

Kelly was charged last month with 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse. Three of his four accusers in the case were underage at the time -- reportedly between May 1998 and January 2010. The Lifetime documentary Surviving R. Kelly brought renewed interest from prosecutors, and ultimately led to his arrest last month. 

R. Kelly's next court appearance is scheduled for March 22.