President Trump said Monday he is taking hydroxychloroquine as a prophylactic to coronavirus, he told reporters.
"I happen to be taking it, yah right now, a couple of weeks ago I started taking it," Trump said during a roundtable event. "A lot of good things have come out. You’d be surprised at how many people are taking it, especially the front-line workers. Before you catch it. The front-line workers, many, many are taking it."
“I started taking it, because I think it’s good,” Trump said. “I’ve heard a lot of good stories.”
Following Trump's announcement, White House physician Sean Conley wrote in a letter that "the potential benefit from treatment outweighed the relative risks" of taking the drug.
Trump said he has had no symptoms for coronavirus. Trump also said he asked the White House doctor for it and the doctor said it was fine to take.
“There’s a very good chance this has an impact, especially early on,” he said. “So far, I seem to be OK.”
It is unknown yet if the drug will help in the battle against the potentially-deadly virus.
Trump has been touting the anti-malaria drug for months as a "game changer" in the fight against coronavirus.
“The nice part is it’s been around for a long time,” Trump said in March. “So, we know that if things don’t go as planned, it’s not going to kill anybody.”
Trending Coronavirus Coverage From RADIO.COM
—After stimulus package passes House, what happens next?
—HEROES Act: Who qualifies for the newly proposed $1,200 stimulus check?
—Disney Parks to implement mask requirements, plexiglass dividers, and temperature checks
—Can Social Security survive the coronavirus crisis?
—Black light experiment shows how coronavirus could spread at a restaurant
—How to save money on groceries during the coronavirus pandemic
—Is it safe to go to the beach this summer? 6 tips to protect yourself and others
—Teens arrested after coronavirus coughing pranks at Walmart
—Can’t afford your mortgage during COVID-19? 3 relief options for homeowners