The latest development in the David Ortiz news includes more arrests and details about how much money the hitmen were offered to kill Ortiz. A press conference was held late Wednesday afternoon with the director of the Dominican National Police Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte, and Attorney General Jean Alain Rodriguez.
According to Almonte and Rodriguez, there have been a total of five arrests made thus far, all of whom were directly involved with the shooting of Ortiz. This number is more than double the two who had been arrested as of earlier Wednesday afternoon.
Almonte and Rodriguez also said that the alleged hitmen were offered $400,000 Dominican pesos, which is equivalent to nearly $8,000, to shoot Ortiz. Almonte added that authorities have yet to determine who led the attack nor what the motive was, but are continuing to investigate.
Alex Cora said prior to this team's game against the Rangers that he hopes to be able to visit Ortiz before heading on the Red Sox' next road trip to the Baltimore Orioles on Friday. He added that Ortiz is, "going to bounce back. He's going to be back with us. We know that."
Earlier Wednesday afternoon, Ortiz's wife Tiffany released a statement which read: "David continues to recuperate today in the Intensive Care Unit at Massachusetts General Hospital under the direction of treating trauma surgeon Dr. David King. Yesterday and this morning, David was able to sit up as well as take some steps. His condition is guarded and he will remain in the ICU for the coming days, but he is making good progress towards recovery. My family and I again want to thank everyone for their endless love and well wishes, and still ask for privacy while David continues to heal."