Red Sox Pitcher Shut Down for Season After Bout With Coronavirus

75756A5E-120A-4932-810C-2FD980DB785E
By WEEI 93.7

On Thursday morning, Red Sox chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom told The Greg Hill Show that the team expected to get starting pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez back at some point this season.

Things have changed. Speaking to the media on Saturday, Bloom announced that Rodriguez has been shut down for the season.

Rodriguez was diagnosed with a heart condition called myocarditis that resulted from his bout with COVID-19. Bloom said Saturday that nothing has changed in terms of his prognosis and that they still believe he will make a full recovery, but that there hasn't been much improvement yet and that they now don't expect him to be able to return this season.

"That's the most important part of your body," Rodriguez said earlier this week. "The first time I hear, I was kind of scared a little. Now that I know what it is, I'm still scared, but now I know exactly what it is. I just talk to my mom, talk to my wife, let them know what I have, and now I've got to take the rest."

Bloom acknowledged that losing Rodriguez for the season "makes the mountain a little bit higher" and said the team is monitoring the market as well as continuing to work with the pitchers they have in Pawtucket.