ST. LOUIS (KMOX) - One of the most beloved treasures in St. Louis has been named No. 2 on the list for "Best City Park" in America.
The online voting competition ended last month and the final tally is in from USA TODAY 10Best. The St. Louis gem finished second only to Gathering Place in Tulsa, which is a new riverfront park that has multi-story fireplaces, an adventure playground, boathouse, sensory garden and a reading tree.
The writers of the final list say Forest Park is "one of the largest urban parks in the United States, nearly a third larger than New York City's Central Park. The park is widely used for outdoor recreation and features bicycle paths, jogging trails, baseball diamonds, soccer fields, boating and skating."
Here are a things that make Forest Park so special:
• More than 13 million people visit each year
• It contains about 45,000 trees
• It's the home of 5 major cultural instirutions Saint Louis Science Center, the Missouri History Museum, The Muny and the Saint Louis Zoo.
The top 10 winners are:
1. Gathering Place - Tulsa
2. Forest Park - St. Louis
3. Hermann Park - Houston
4. Patterson Park - Baltimore
5. Falls Park - Sioux Falls, South Dakota
6. White River State Park - Indianapolis
7. Falls Park on the Reedy - Greenville, South Carolina
8. Fairmount Park - Philadelphia
9. Gas Works Park - Seattle
10. Klyde Warren Park - Dallas
© 2020 KMOX (Entercom). All rights reserved