A patient who tested positive for COVID-19 after a cruise became the first person in California to die from the coronavirus outbreak, officials said Wednesday.
The Placer County patient was "an elderly adult with underlying health condition," officials there said. It's since been revealed that the patient was a 71-year-old man.
“We extend our deepest condolences to the loved ones of this patient,” said Placer County Health Officer Dr. Aimee Sisson. “While we have expected more cases, this death is an unfortunate milestone in our efforts to fight this disease, and one that we never wanted to see."
The patient likely became exposed during a Princess cruise that traveled between San Francisco and Mexico from February 11—21. Another passenger on that cruise has also tested positive, officials said.
The patient had been treated in isolation at Kaiser Permanent Roseville and was first identified as a presumptive case of coronavirus Tuesday, the county's statement said.
Also on Wednesday, Menlo School, a private academy in Atherton, canceled classes and events through the weekend because a staff member was discovered to be living with a relative who has tested positive.
There have been 10 other deaths in the U.S. from the virus, all in Washington state.
Healthcare workers and emergency workers are now in quarantine because they came into contact with the Placer County patient before he was isolated, the Los Angeles Times said. In all, 15 people are in quarantine, the Times' report said.
Placer County has had a previous patient diagnosed with coronavirus.
There have been 58 cases in California, including 30 patients in the Bay Area, the San Francisco Chronicle said.
Around the world, there have been more than 94,000 infections and 3,200 deaths.