Trump transferred to military hospital 'out of abundance of caution' after COVID diagnosis: White House


President Donald Trump is being transferred to a military hospital “out of an abundance of caution” after testing positive for COVID-19, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said Friday evening.

Trump was expected to arrive at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center by helicopter Friday evening, where he will undergo tests, a White House official said.

“President Trump remains in good spirits, has mild symptoms and has been working throughout the day,” McEnany said in a statement, noting that he would "work from the presidential offices at Walter Reed for the next few days."

“President Trump appreciates the outpouring of support for both he and the First Lady,” she added.

The Physician to the President, Sean Conley, on Friday afternoon said Trump was "fatigued but in good spirits” after being diagnosed with COVID-19.

Conley said Trump was “being evaluated by a team of experts,” adding that he and the team would be “making recommendations to the President and First Lady in regards to next best steps.”

“First Lady Melania Trump remains well with only a mild cough and headache, and the remainder of the First Family are well and tested negative for SARS-CoV-2,” Conley said.

Trump “received a single 8 gram dose of Regeneron’s polyclonal antibody cocktail” and “completed the infusion without incident,” he added.

The “cocktail” is an “experimental” treatment, the Associated Press reported.

Trump and first lady Melania Trump tested positive for COVID-19 Thursday evening, the president tweeted early Friday morning.

Speaking with reporters Friday afternoon, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said Trump was still working, making calls to politicians including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham.

“He’s hard at work despite the mild symptoms,” she said.

Asked why Trump attended a fundraiser at his golf club in Bedminster on Thursday, even after his senior adviser Hope Hicks, who also tested positive for COVID-19, started showing symptoms, McEnany said it was “deemed safe” by “White House operations,” without elaborating.

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram