President Trump holds first in-person event since contracting COVID-19

75756A5E-120A-4932-810C-2FD980DB785E

President Trump held an in-person event on Saturday, his first since revealing his coronavirus diagnosis last week.

Trump spoke from the White House balcony for 18 minutes.

According to CNN, 2000 guests were invited to the event and aproximately 300 - 400 attended.

Precautions were put into place as attendees were required to bring masks and were allegedly told to wear them while on the White House grounds, reported CNBC. Prior to arriving, attendees were expected to undergo a coronavirus “screening,” temperature checks and a questionnaire, the outlet noted.

The theme of Saturday's event was “remarks to peaceful protesters for law and order,” according to a copy of the invitation obtained by ABC News.

Trump and first lady Melania Trump contracted coronavirus less than a week after attending a White House gathering to announce Amy Coney Barrett’s nomination to the Supreme Court. Since the event in the Rose Garden, more than a dozen attendees have tested positive for COVID-19.

A second presidential debate scheduled for Thursday, October 15th has since been canceled after Trump initially rejected having it go virtual in light of the president's COVID-19 diagnosis.

Instead, Joe Biden will hold a town hall with ABC News on that day.

The Trump campaign wanted the debate to go on in-person, but the Commission on Presidential Debates announced its cancellation on Friday.

Tim Murtaugh, Trump 2020 communications director, said in a statement, "There is no medical reason to stop the October 15 debate in Miami from proceeding as scheduled, since the President will be healthy and ready to debate. There is also no reason there shouldn’t be the three total presidential debates as Joe Biden had originally agreed.”

Murtaugh continued: “We have suggested using October 22 and October 29 to hold the final two debates. It’s time for the biased commission to stop protecting Biden and preventing voters from hearing from the two candidates for president."

The third debate, scheduled for Oct. 22 in Nashville, still is scheduled to take place.

LISTEN NOW on the RADIO.COM App
Follow RADIO.COM
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram