KCPD launches investigation into deadly nightclub shooting

Police officers stand outside in bitter cold at the site of a deadly shooting outside the 9ine Ultra Lounge in the Kansas City area.
Photo credit KMBC Channel 9 News

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Multiple victims remained in a hospital Monday after a shooting outside a nightclub Sunday night where people were gathering to celebrate the Kansas City Chiefs victory in the AFC Championship Game.

Two people died, according to Kansas City police. A woman died at the scene, along with 29-year-old Jahron Swift, who was identified as the alleged shooter. The female victim's name was not immediately released.

A large crowd was outside the 9ine Ultra Lounge near U.S. 40 Highway and Noland Road around 11:30 p.m. when shots began to ring out. Along with the dead, 15 people were injured.

Responding police officers did not immediately know the magnitude of the violence. They had only been informed of two victims.

One witness shared mobile phone video of the incident with KMBC 9 News.

"While they were investigating, reports came in of several more victims showing up at area hospitals," said Capt. David Jackson, KCPD. 

Seven people were taken to Centerpoint Medical Center in Independence. As of 4:15 a.m. Monday, two people were in critical condition, two were in serious condition, two were in fair condition and one person was treated and released, according to a hospital spokesperson.

The security guard was inside the club when he heard gunshots outside, said Police Chief Rick Smith. The guard then went outside and confronted Swift, fatally shooting him. 

At a Monday afternoon news conference, Mayor Quinton Lucas called the incident "heartbreaking," especially in light of the happy atmosphere of the city's NFL franchise securing a spot in the Super Bowl, a big reason for the large crowd at the club.

The Kansas City Police Department has received reports before about violence originating at the 9ine Ultra Lounge, Chief Smith said.

"City leadership will look at this club," Mayor Lucas said. "(They) will consider whether it is a nuisance, if it meets those standards. Then we have remedies up to and including temporary revokation of the license."

The mayor, reminding reporters of his background of growing up in the inner city, said everyone is sick of gun violence. He issued a challenge in an effort to increase cooperation in police investigations.

"There's a lot that's circulating right now on social media -- there are a lot of folks that claim to be in the know of what's happened," Lucas said. "Please call us. Please talk to us. Call law enforcement."