UPDATE: Lynwood Carjacking Suspect in Custody After 10-Hour Manhunt

KNX 1070
Photo credit KNX 1070
By KNX 1070 NEWSRADIO
LYNWOOD (CNS) - After a massive 10-hour search for a carjacking suspect in Lynwood, the man is now in custody.

A 10-hr massive search for a carjacking suspect in #Lynwood is over. Man in custody. Deputies say man, so far, not linked to ambush shooting of 2 deputies in Compton. 100s of residents waited hours outside police line to go home. @KNX1070 pic.twitter.com/THwxW0B1Y3

— Emily Valdez KNX 1070 (@EmilyValdezKNX) September 16, 2020

A SWAT team was sent to the 3100 block of Carlin Avenue, near North Santa Fe Avenue, at about noon, according to Deputy Juanita Navarro-Suarez of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

The suspect stopped the vehicle on Carlin Avenue and ran away into a nearby neighborhood, KTLA5 reported.

He hid in an apartment or house near Rosecrans Avenue and Long Beach Boulevard, which sheriff's personnel surrounded, according to the station.

The immediate vicinity was evacuated, and the sheriff's Special Enforcement Bureau "assumed command of the tactical response to bring about a peaceful resolution," according to Navarro-Suarez.

Law enforcement sources told NBC4 that the suspect may be connected to the ambush shooting of two deputies Saturday night in Compton, but Navarro- Suarez could not confirm the report.

"At this time, it's just a carjacking suspect but it's really important that we apprehend him and ID him to see if there's any nexus with the ambush," Navarro-Suarez said.

Sheriff Alex Villanueva told multiple media outlets Tuesday afternoon that there was not a connection between the ambush and the carjacking suspect.

The suspect, described as Black, 28-to-30-years-old and wearing dark clothing, was last seen heading northbound on Willowbrook Avenue in a black four-door sedan.

Over the weekend, two LASD deputies were ambushed as they sat in their patrol car in Compton. After surgeries, both were reported to be in stable condition Tuesday. Meanwhile, a viral video that surfaced immediately after the incident drew the ire of Sheriff Villanueva this week.

The reward for the suspect's capture now stands at more than $200,000, thanks to an additional $100,000 approved Tuesday by the LA County Board of Supervisors. Janice Hahn praised the wounded deputies. 

A GoFundMe page set up for the two deputies and as of Tuesday afternoon, there were more than $420,000 raised in donations toward the page's new goal of $750,000.

KNX 1070 contributed to this