Murder suspect attempts $1 million bail a second time; succeeds after removing weapons from home


Murder suspect Andrew Beard, 33, Rowlett has been released from jail after posting a $1,000,000 bond and assuring a judge that he has removed 18 weapons from his home.

Beard was arrested for the Oct. 2  shooting and stabbing death of Alyssa Burkett, an apartment manager at the Greentree Apartments in the 1100 block of MacArthur in Carrollton.

According to an arrest affidavit, police believe Beard used makeup to darken his skin before he used a black 2004 Ford Expedition to drive to the apartment complex, then confront Burkett.  One witness said she “heard a vehicle come to a quick stop outside her office window. (the witness) looked out and saw a male suspect exit what she thought was a black truck and approach Burkett’s vehicle, which was parked in front of the office.  The man, dressed in black clothing, shot toward the driver’s side of Burkett’s vehicle.” said police in the affidavit.

The two share a child and Burkett had been awarded custody just days before, the affidavit says.

Carrollton Police homed-in on Beard when they discovered the 2004 Expedition abandoned and facing the wrong way in the 5500 block of Onset Bay Drive, Rowlett.  It is about 1/3 of a mile from Beard’s home, the affidavit says.  What’s more police say they have surveillance video showing the Expedition driving past an area home about 30-minutes after the attack.  The Carrollton scene and Beard’s home are about 26 miles apart, the affidavit says.

Police say they found blood, a prosthetic beard and brown makeup in the SUV.

Investigators believe Burkett, her boyfriend and other family members were in fear of Beard immediately before her death.

Hours after his arrest, prosecutors were alarmed that Beard had managed to post the bond, considered high.  But before he could be released, Beard had to meet all the conditions of bond, including a provison that no weapons be in his possession.  Court documents show that police saw, but did not seize, 18 firearms when they searched Beard’s home.  A judge ordered the bond be held insufficient until the weapons were removed.

Today that condition was met to the judge’ satisfaction and Beard was released. He must wear an electronic ankle monitor, which can alert authorities if Beard strays from his home, comes in contact with drugs or alcohol or tries to remove the monitor.​