In the name of science, six doctors swallowed a mini Lego figure head and monitored their own digestive health in order to see the health effects that swallowing the Lego pieces have on children.
I digress. The doctors found that it caused no harm, and passed through their digest tracts in 1.7 days, on average.
Their study was just published in the Journal of Duh — I mean of Pediatrics. But you actually don't have to go swallowing stuff to see if anything is harmful. You just need to know about the federal regulatory agency called the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), which protects the public from unreasonable risks from more than 15,000 types of consumer products.
You can see safety reviews of products from a giraffe-shaped nightlight to bicycle accessories to girls' clothing — all of which were recently recalled.
So check CPSC.gov to make sure a product doesn't send you to the doctor — who might be busy checking his own digestive track at the moment.