Man found guilty of first-degree murder for stabbing, running over ex-girlfriend

By KYW Newsradio 1060

UPDATED: 4:14 p.m.

NORRISTOWN, Pa. (KYW Newsradio) — The Philadelphia man on trial for stabbing and running over his ex-girlfriend outside her workplace in Whitemarsh Township was found guilty on all charges, including first-degree murder, on Thursday. 

It took a Montgomery County jury only about two hours to find Lawrence Crawley guilty of all charges. 

Crawley, 34, had no reaction when the jury announced the guilty verdict. He faces mandatory life in prison with no chance for parole with the first-degree murder conviction. His sentencing is scheduled for April.

Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele thanked jurors for sitting through a difficult trial. 

“This case was one of the worst that I have ever seen. This is the face of domestic violence,” Steele said. 

During the trial, defense attorney Carrie Allman argued that Crawley lost control when he murdered Angela Stith in the early morning hours of Aug. 3, 2018.  

She said Crawley and Stith were in a complicated relationship and when Crawley stabbed Stith, then ran her over with his Chevy Avalanche, he was acting out of rage and irrationallity, and was out of control. 

Video surveillance shows him smashing her car window with a hammer, slashing her with a knife, then tackling her after she scrambles out the passenger side of the car and tries to run away. 

In the video, he is seen stabbing her four times before her coworkers run out and chase him off. But he returns in his Chevy Avalanche and runs her over five times as her coworkers look on helplessly.

Allman told the jury they should find Crawley not guilty of first-degree murder because the killing lacked intent and planning.

But Steele said there are nine times Crawley showed his intent: the four times he stabbed her and the five times he ran her over with his car.

Steele also showed video of Crawley unsuccessfully trying to buy a gun. While standing in the gun store, he's seen typing out a Facebook post that read, "I'll try to do something that puts me at peace."

Steele also asked why Crawley had two knives and a hammer with him while he was waiting for Stith to take her break around 2:15 a.m. on the day he killed her.

When police caught up with Crawley on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, he set himself on fire and slit his wrist while driving through the Allegheny Tunnel. He was in a medically induced coma for several days with third-degree burns on more than a quarter of his body.