Prince William received a new royal title.
Prince William will serve as the royal family’s official representative to the Church of Scotland. In the position, he will carry out official visits and ceremonial duties.
William will take over the appointment from Richard Scott, the 10th Duke of Buccleuch and 12th Duke of Queensberry. Scott succeeded Princess Anne, who previously held the position.
The announcement comes just one week after the Queen announced the final terms of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s royal exit.
On Jan. 18, the matriarch released a statement publicly declaring the separation of her grandson and his wife from the royal family.
“Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family,” the monarch said in a statement.
The announcement continued: “Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family. I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life."
Elizabeth’s missive was released in tandem with an official announcement from Buckingham Palace, laying out a more detailed breakdown of the terms of Harry and Markle’s exit.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are grateful to Her Majesty and the Royal Family for their ongoing support as they embark on the next chapter of their lives. As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from Royal duties, including official military appointments,” the statement said.
“They will no longer receive public funds for Royal duties. With The Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty,” the statement explained.
“The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home. Buckingham Palace does not comment on the details of security arrangements. There are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly- funded security,” the statement concluded.
The next day, Prince Harry expressed “great sadness” at the Queen’s announcement while speaking at a charity dinner in London.
"The decision that I have made for my wife and I to step back is not one I made lightly," Harry said in a video of the seven-minute speech posted to the Sussex Royal. "It was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges. And I know I haven't always gotten it right, but as far as this goes, there really was no other option."
"Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the commonwealth, and my military associations, but without public funding," he continued. "Unfortunately, that wasn't possible."