Logan Williams, who appeared on the CW series “The Flash,” died on April 2nd at the age of 16.
His mother has now revealed the cause of death was due to a fentanyl overdose.
In a new interview with the New York Post, Marlyse Williams said preliminary toxicology reports disclosed he died of the drug overdose. She also said her son battled with opioid addiction for three years.
Marlyse hopes sharing his story will help others struggling with addiciton issues.
"His death is not going to be in vain," she told the outlet. "He’s going to help a lot of people down the road."
According to the CDC, fentanyl is a synthetic opioid pain reliever that creates a "heroin-like effect" in the body.
Back in April, The teen actor’s mother confirmed the news of his death saying she was “absolutely devastated,” according to The Tri-City News.
The coronavirus pandemic also made it extremely difficult to grieve.
“I am not able to hug my parents who lost their only grandchild,” Williams said. “It’s hard.”
Williams portrayed the young version of Barry Allen, the character played as an adult by Grant Gustin.
Gustin paid tribute to his co-star in an emotional Instagram post.
“Just hearing the devastating news that Logan Williams has passed away suddenly,” the 30-year-old captioned a throwback photo with the young star. “This picture was early in the filming of The Flash pilot episode back in 2014. I was so impressed by not only Logan’s talent but his professionalism on set. My thoughts and prayers will be with him and his family during what is I’m sure an unimaginably difficult time for them.”
“Please keep Logan and his family in your thoughts and prayers during what has been a strange and trying time for us all,” Gustin added. “Sending love to everyone.”
Williams is survived by his mother, father Clive, grandparents and aunts and uncles.