While other social media platforms are struggling to stay relevant and keep people engaged, Instagram continues to forge ahead with its innovative yet simple interface that keeps bringing users back. With more than 200 million Instagrammers visiting at least one business profile daily and more than 60 percent of them saying they discover new products on the platform, Instagram has become an incredibly robust and effective marketing tool for businesses.
Instagram is also one of the easiest ways for your business to meet and exceed its marketing goals because there are only a few things you need to know to get started with an advertising campaign.
What is your desired format?
Instagram is a visual platform, which provides multiple effective strategies. Determine which format is best for your business.
- Photo - Using one powerful shot, square or landscape, you can quickly catch the interest of potential customers.
- Video - Expand your story with a video of up to 60 seconds that offers a more immersive experience for the user.
- Carousel - Combine multiple photos and videos into a single ad that increases engagement by allowing the user to swipe to the side for more information.
- Stories - Stories allow the advertiser to take advantage of the vertical format to connect with Instagrammers in a unique way.
How do you intend to make an impact?
When you tell your company's story on Instagram, it can impact your company in three progressive ways.
- Awareness - An advertisement on Instagram makes users aware of your company. They will be introduced to your story and become familiar with your brand.
- Education - Through frequent, engaging content, Instagrammers will learn what your company does and how that can make a difference in their lives.
- Sales - At the tipping point, users will download your app, visit your store, and become engaged customers who know the story of your business and support you.
Who can you reach?
Instagram allows you to target your audience in a number of specific ways.
- Location - If you have a specific region that you service, it would be advantageous to target your audience based on location.
- Demographics - If your business is specific to a certain demographic, those people can be targeted on Instagram.
- Interests and behaviors - What apps do people look at? Which ads interest them? What makes them click? You can use this information to find individuals whose interests and behaviors are similar to the people who already support your business.
- Customized - If you already have emails and phone numbers, Instagram can make your content visible to those specific individuals.
- Automation - Using location, demographics, interests, and behaviors, you can create a campaign to target an audience that might find your business of interest.
The easiest way to get started with an Instagram advertising campaign is to promote a post you've shared on Instagram, then track its engagement.
This article was written by Allen Foster for Small Business Pulse