Just tell the players when and where.
The Major League Baseball Players’ Association executive board reportedly formally voted to reject the league’s 60-game proposal to return to the field on Monday, according to Jesse Rogers and Jeff Passan of ESPN, forcing MLB commissioner Rob Manfred's hand to either implement his own schedule on when the 2020 season will resume or to get the owners to agree to more games.
The league responded by signaling a mandated season was in the offing, asking the players whether they could be ready to report to home ballparks for training camp on July 1, with a season to follow a few weeks later, according to multiple reports. The players would have to agree to healthy and safety protocols, according to the reports, and the owners were said to be expecting a response by Tuesday afternoon.
By rejecting the owners’ proposal, the MLBPA maintained their right to file a grievance against the league that it violated the terms to the agreement they reached in March.
The MLB proposed the 60-game schedule earlier in the week after MLBPA chief Tony Clark met with Manfred to work out the framework for a deal, which included full prorated salaries for the first time – a major sticking point for the players.
The players, however, countered with a 70-game proposal which angered the owners, who said they would not counter the offer.
The MLBPA executive board met on Saturday to discuss a vote and decided to delay voting on the proposal in order to collect data on coronavirus testing after several positive tests occurred at MLB training facilities, prompting the league to temporarily close MLB training camps.