Los Angeles Chargers' head coach Anthony Lynn didn't close the door on a possible pursuit of free-agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick Wednesday.
"I haven't talked to him," Lynn told the collective media Wednesday, including Joe Reedy of The Associated Press. "He fits the style of quarterback that we want. We're happy with the three quarterbacks that we have but you can never have enough on the runway."
The Chargers did just use the No. 6 overall pick on former Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert, and also employ Tyrod Taylor, who started for the Buffalo Bills from 2015-17. The Chargers could legitimately make a case that while they believe Kaepernick deserves to be in the NFL, they like their quarterback room as is.
That said, former North Dakota State quarterback Easton stick, a 2019 fifth-round pick, is their third-string quarterback. It's very unlikely that in a normal year he would see regular season action. However, with uncertainty about how COVID-19 could impact their 2020 season, NFL teams may take who their third-string quarterback is more seriously this season. Certainly, Kaepernick is qualified to be a backup.
Seahawks' head coach Pete Carroll said last week that he recently received a call from a team that potentially was interested in Kaepernick to discuss Seattle's meeting with him before the 2017 season. Carroll declined to identify that team, but did admit it was the first time he's ever been contacted about Kaepernick.
Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reported that Kaepernick is "more motivated than ever" to return to the NFL as a player earlier this month. The 32-year-old last played in the NFL in 2016.