The NFL has reportedly reminded its incoming crop of rookies that the internet never forgets.
The league is encouraging prospects to erase any embarrassing or otherwise compromising content from their social media accounts ahead of the league's annual draft, according to Pro Football Talk.
"Per a league source, the NFL therefore has advised agents to 'proactively scrub' negative tweets from prospect accounts, to ensure that none of these messages surface 'during this critical time.'"
The draft will be under heightened scrutiny this year, with the extravaganza having the pro sports stage to itself amid the ongoing coronavirus crisis. Any controversy over a player's past remarks could be especially damaging at a time when the league has come under some criticism for forging ahead with its offseason amid a pandemic.
The league has even provided players and their agents with step-by-step instructions on how to search for and evaluate old posts, and, if necessary, delete them, the report said.
Several professional prospects in various sports have been called out for hateful or inappropriate posts in recent years, usually resurfaced by sleuthing fans. Last year, top 49ers draft pick Nick Bosa came under fire, while Bills quarterback Josh Allen and Bears quarterback Mitch Trubisky were the winners in 2018 and 2017, respectively. In MLB, pitchers Michael Kopech and Josh Hader were also burned by bigoted remarks.
The NFL Draft will be "fully virtual" this year, the league recently said, with most team executives and coaches making their selections from their own homes via videoconferencing and phone calls. On Wednesday, the league announced it will host a three-day "Draft-A-Thon" to raise funds for coronavirus relief efforts.