Seahawks 'weren't comfortable' with prospect of signing Antonio Brown: report

75756A5E-120A-4932-810C-2FD980DB785E
By RADIO.COM

The Seattle Seahawks passed on signing new Bucs wide receiver Antonio Brown -- but it reportedly wasn't for lack of interest.

The Seahawks performed their "due diligence" in researching Brown before ultimately deciding they "weren't comfortable" bringing the troubled wideout aboard, according to Pro Football Talk.

Seattle was at one time last week the reported frontrunner to land Brown, who was out of the league since early in the 2019 season, when he was unceremoniously released by both the Raiders and Patriots for apparent behavioral issues.

Instead the four-time All-Pro was snapped up by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, reuniting Brown with former New England teammate Tom Brady, as well as coach Bruce Arians, who coached Brown when he was offensive coordinator of the Steelers.

Brown was ineligible to play in Week 8 while finishing up an eight-game suspension for various violations of the league's personal conduct policy.

The 32-year-old could face additional league sanctions pending the outcome of a civil lawsuit over alleged sexual misconduct.

The Seahawks' reported interest in Brown came in the wake of comments by superstar quarterback Russell Wilson, who called Brown "one of the best players" in the league and said he deserved another chance.

Wilson said Brown had expressed remorse to him over his actions in recent conversations.

Brown had his first workout as a Buc on Wednesday, after which Arians said Brown looked "fantastic." It marked a dramatic rhetorical turnaround for Arians, who earlier this year bristled at the idea of signing Brown, saying he would upset the team's chemistry.

Arians also conceded this week that signing Brown was an "insurance policy" in the event that injured receiver Chris Godwin were to miss significant time after his recent surgery to fix a finger injury.

LISTEN NOW on the RADIO.COM App
Follow RADIO.COM Sports
Twitter | Facebook I Instagram