Super Bowl LIV is set. The Kansas City Chiefs will take on the San Francisco 49ers at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami on Feb. 2.
Both teams had their own, unique journeys to get to this point. The Chiefs fell just short last season and returned with high expectations in 2019, only to see star quarterback Patrick Mahomes go down with a knee injury and miss three weeks as they scratched and clawed their way to the No. 2 seed in the AFC. In the playoffs, the Chiefs rallied from a 24-0 deficit against the Houston Texans and then came back from a 10-0 deficit to the Tennessee Titans in the AFC Championship Game.
The Niners, meanwhile, were coming off a 4-12 season where quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo tore his ACL. They returned this season with rookie Nick Bosa and veteran Richard Sherman leading the defense, while Garoppolo proved to be healthy and effective en route to a 13-3 season and No. 1 seed in the NFC. in the playoffs, the Niners took care of their opponents with ease, dominating the Minnesota Vikings and Green Bay Packers to clinch a Super Bowl berth.
Here’s what you need to know for the Big Game:
What: Kansas City Chiefs (14-4) vs. San Francisco 49ers (15-3)
Where: Hard Rock Stadium, Miami, Fla.
When: 6:30 p.m. ET
5 Fun Facts
• This is the first Super Bowl appearance for the Chiefs since 1970, when the Chiefs defeated the Vikings 23-7 in Super Bowl IV. It ends the longest drought between Super Bowls of any team.
• Chiefs head coach Andy Reid reaches his second career Super Bowl 15 years after taking the Philadelphia Eagles to Super Bowl XXXIX, where they lost to the Patriots. Reid, whose 207 career wins as a head coach is seventh-most in NFL history, is still in search of his first Super Bowl victory as head coach. The 15-year gap between Super Bowls is the second-longest of any head coach (Dick Vermeil, 19 years).
• The San Francisco 49ers are back in the Super Bowl for the first time since the 2012 season, and have not won a Super Bowl since the 1995 season. The Niners’ five Super Bowl victories is tied for second-most in NFL history, and a win would tie them with the New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers with six.
• San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan is the son of legendary head coach Mike Shanahan, who led the Denver Broncos to Super Bowl victories in 1997 and 1998. The Shanahans are the first father-son combo to ever lead two different teams to a Super Bowl.
• The 49ers reached the Super Bowl after winning just four games last season. The only other teams to accomplish that were the 1999 St. Louis Rams, who won the Super Bowl, and 1988 Cincinnati Bengals.