Second Quarter Was Beginning of the End For Texans Against Chiefs

Start to second half was nail in the coffin

(SportsRadio 610) -- The Texans missed their opportunity to build a lead against the Chiefs when they punted on 4th-and-4 with 11:37 left in the second quarter.

At that point, the game was tied 7-7 Houston sent Bryan Anger on the field to punt from the 50-yard line, pinning the Chiefs back to their own 9-yard line.

Head coach Bill O’Brien defended the decision after the game, and there has been debate online as to whether it was the right one.

The fact is, Kansas City marched down the field for a 16-play, 91-yard touchdown drive and knocked 12:34 off the clock.

Deshaun Watson was able to move the ball down the field with short passes. All of his deep shots on that drive fell incomplete.

Then, Ka’imi Fairbairn was unable to connect on a 51-yard field goal attempt.

The Texans left 25 seconds on the game clock until halftime and that was just enough for the Chiefs to engineer a successful field goal drive of their own.

“It was a big drive. We moved the ball pretty well on that drive and then we stalled there,” O’Brien said. “It was tough. It was just one of those things that didn’t play out very well for us and we have to do a better job there”

The Chiefs held a 17-7 lead at halftime with possession to start the third quarter.

And the Texans defense did not answer the call to open the second half. Kansas City was able to go 75 yards, punctuated by rookie Clyde Edwards-Helaire’s 27-yard touchdown run.

The Chiefs never faced a third down on that drive.

“We’ve got to play the run better, obviously,” O’Brien said after the game. “We came out in the second half and they scored on that first drive. That was tough because we needed a stop there to get the ball back to the offense. …

“The first drive of the second half was tough. We’ve got to do a better job of coming out of the locker room and stopping them there because that was a big drive in the game.”