Guice 'strangled his girlfriend until she was unconscious,' per report


More details have emerged about the alarming nature of the incidents which led to now-former Washington running back Derrius Guice's arrest on domestic violence charges.

According to Justin Jouvenal of The Washington Post, citing charging documents in the case, Guice "strangled his girlfriend until she was unconscious in his Ashburn home in March."

"When she awoke," the report goes on, "the Washington NFL player was crying and tapping her."

Guice turned himself in in Loudoun County on Friday, where he was arrested and charged with felony strangulation, three separate counts of assault and battery, and one count of destruction of property. Washington head coach Ron Rivera chose to release Guice from the team on Friday, and explained his reasoning for the swift decision to reporters on Monday.

"On Friday, I made a decision that I believe was in the best interest of this organization, our players and our fans going forward," Rivera said. "Very difficult decision, anytime you have to release a very talented, young football player, it's always a tough decision.

"But this type of circumstance, this type of situation, we take those allegations very, very seriously, and we had to make the decision going forward."

According to The Post, the victim told police "Guice also pushed her and pulled her hair" during the March 13 incident.

Among other instances cited in the charging documents, The Post also notes two separate instances, one occurring in April and another in February. In earliest incident, The Post reports Guice "pushed her to the ground in his bedroom bathroom in February, causing an injury to her left thumbnail... The nail eventually fell off because of a popped blood vessel."

In the April incident, The Post reports Guice "pushed her to the ground outside of the football player's home" and "threw her cellphone into the street, where it shattered."

Read the full report in The Washington Post.