For the second straight season Atlanta United is going to be tasked with replacing their captain.
Last season 2019 Captain Michael Parkhurst stepped away from the game and retired and on Tuesday afternoon Carlos Bocanegra announced the team was not planning to bring back 2020 Captain Jeff Larentowicz.
With a new manager coming into the team as well the role of team captain may carry a little bit heavier responsibility for Atlanta United that it does for other clubs.
So who are the candidates for team captain? There are certainly going to be a few obvious ones, but let's also look at a few dark-horse candidates.
THE OBVIOUS CANDIDATES:
• Brad Guzan, the last line of defense.
• Josef Martinez, the heartbeat of the offense.
THE OTHER GUYS:
• Miles Robinson, one of the best center backs in MLS
• George Bello, developing into a center piece of the team
• Brooks Lennon, part of both the attack and the defense
It's certainly likely the title goes to either Guzan or Martinez, but you have to wonder what being given the captaincy would do for Robinson, Bello, or Lennon's career and confidence.