CHICAGO (WBBM NEWSRADIO) – The city of Chicago’s Law Department says it’s preparing a lawsuit against “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett because he has refused to pay for the cost of a police investigation into his false claims he was attacked by homophobic racists.
The city last week sent Smollett a bill for more than $130,000 and threatened to take him to city court. Thursday was the deadline for Smollett to fork over that amount.
In a news release Thursday evening, the Law Department said Smollett “has refused to reimburse” the city. A civil complaint will be filed in Cook County Court, Law Department spokesman Bill McCaffrey said.
Smollett maintains his innocence, even though a grand jury indicted him on charges of disorderly conduct after determining he lied to police about being beat up by white men wearing “Make America Great Again” hats overnight in downtown Chicago early this year.
Cook County State’s Attorney Kimberly Foxx’s office abruptly dropped charges against Smollett last month as part of an “alternative disposition” prosecutors say is regular for non-violent offenders.
The move angered Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Police Supt. Eddie Johnson.
Smollett, they say, wasn’t even required to admit any responsibility. He forfeited the $10,000 he posted for bond.