Boil Water Order in Hamburg and Orchard Park

Boil Water Order

(WBEN) A boil water notice for parts of Hamburg and Orchard Park this morning. Here are the details from the Erie County Water Authority:

This Boil Water Notice applies to the area of the Towns of Hamburg and Orchard Park bounded by:

To the North by Armor Rd
To the South by Shamrock Ct./South Abbott Rd
To the West by Oakridge Dr.
To the East by Intersection of Armor Rd & Powers Rd

Bring tap water to a rolling boil, boil for one minute, and cool before using.  Or use bottled water certified for sale by the New York State Department of Health.  Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking, making ice, washing dishes, brushing teeth, and preparing food until further notice.

What Happened?

At about 4:00 PM on January 23, 2021 the water system lost pressure due to a break in a water main in the distribution system supplying the described area above.  When water mains lose pressure it increases the chance that untreated water and harmful microbes can enter your water.

Harmful microbes in drinking water can cause diarrhea, cramps, nausea, headaches, or other symptoms and may pose a special health risk for infants, some elderly, and people with severely compromised immune systems.  But these symptoms are not just caused by microbes in drinking water.  If you experience any of these symptoms and they persist, you should seek medical advice.

What is being done?

The water main is repaired where the break occurred. Following the repair those areas were sanitized and the water main was flushed to clear the line prior to placing it back into service. ECWA will be collecting water samples to confirm the water quality in the area effected by the water main break.

It is likely that you will need to boil water for the next 24-hours until the problem is fixed.  You will be informed when tests show that you no longer need to boil your water.

For more information, please contact:

Dispatch at the Erie County Water Authority at 685-8235.

or the Erie County Health Department at 716-961-6800