NEW YORK (WCBS 880) — Three children are in critical condition after they became trapped in a fast-moving fire inside a Bronx home on Monday morning.
Firefighters were able to rescue the three children from a second floor in the home but, they are now fighting for their lives at a local hospital.
The incident happened at a two-story home on Burke Avenue in the Allerton section of the borough. Approximately 70 firefighters responded to the scene and were able to control the blaze by 10 a.m.
“We had fire blowing out of every window on that second floor of the house. Ladder 32 got into the building, onto the second floor and started searching. Engine 62 immediately began stretching lines to start the suppression by getting water on the fire. The Ladder 32 inside team found three children in one of the bedrooms. They immediately removed them to the street and turned them over to members of Engine 79 who started CPR. They were then immediately turned over to members of our EMS bureau who then continued the efforts and transported them to Jacobi Hospital,” FDNY Deputy Assistant Chief Joseph Ferrante said of the incident.
The three children are in critical condition. Police say they are all girls aged 13 months, 3 and 6.
“They looked like they were sleeping. They were all together. They looked like they were sleeping,” said Captain Daniel McEnroe, of Ladder 32.
Police sources tell CBS2 New York that the parents were brought in for questioning. It appears the children were unattended in the home.
FDNY fire marshals ruled the fire was accidental. They add that smoke alarms were present in the building, but were not operational.