Why you shouldn't expect to see Jarren Duran any time soon

75756A5E-120A-4932-810C-2FD980DB785E
By WEEI 93.7

It was going to be one of the more palatable parts of following the Red Sox in the last month of the season: Watching the prospects play.

But according to Red Sox manager Ron Roenicke one of the more highly-touted youngsters who are part of the club's 60-player pool, Jarren Duran, most likely won't be making his big-league debut any time soon.

"I know we talked about him but I think Chaim (Bloom) and his crew feel that he is a ways away and didn’t want to rush bringing him up here and playing him," Roenicke said of the outfielder. "I look at his reports all the time, and he’s doing well. But he’s still got some development and there’s a guy that we need to really take care of and do the right things because this could be a pretty special player."

Duran has acquitted himself well during the intrasquad games at McCoy Stadium over the last month, but he also still hasn't played above Double-A. He also isn't on the 40-man roster.

So how will the Red Sox fill out their outfield with Kevin Pillar now in Colorado and Andrew Benintendi's ribs not close to healed? Roenicke rolled out part of the solution Tuesday night against the Braves, starting Tzu-Wei Lin in left field.

Other outfield options include Yairo Munoz, J.D. Martinez and Jose Peraza.

As for Benintendi, the question now is whether or not he will see the field before the completion of the season.

"He’s still a ways away," Roenicke said. "He’s still on the treadmill, he’s doing some incline walking. He’s better sleeping now. He doesn’t have as much pain as he did before but it’s still there. Any rotational activities, it’s still painful so unfortunately, this thing is slow like we thought it could possibly be and keep him away from really doing anything with baseball activities."