The beleagured Mets bullpen got back another key piece on Tuesday night.
Veteran right-hander Brad Brach was activated from the injured list after a bout with coronavirus, marking the first time the Amazin's bullpen was fully in tact in 2020.
Brach, a New Jersey native, tested positive for COVID-19 during intake at summer camp.
He was subsequently quarantined in a hotel room for two weeks late last month, NorthJersey.com reported.
Brach said he soon realized the virus wasn't to be taken lightly, even though he had a relatively mild case.
“There’s things that can happen," Brach said. "When you look at Eduardo Rodriguez of the Red Sox, you kind of see that he has that rare heart condition that it’s not allowing him to play anymore. There were certain nights when I was sitting in the hotel room and you feel something in your chest. Even though I felt like I had a cold, you just know that there are underlying problems that can come and arise.
“I think it’s just one of those things where I wouldn’t necessarily say I was scared or nervous when I had the virus. But it’s definitely one of those things, you definitely just need to take a step back and just realize there’s bigger things than baseball, really."
Incredibly, the IL stint marked the first of Brach's 10-year career.
The 34-year-old, who signed a one-year deal in the offeason after a brief 16-outing audition with the Mets late last season, says he watched his teammates from isolation.
“I’m just hopeful that I can come in here and really help this team win. You know, we need to win some ballgames here, and I have been watching a lot of them.”
Mets manager Luis Rojas said he was pleased to have Brach back in the fold, who joined fellow recent returnees Robert Gsellman and Jared Hughes.
“He's another guy with experience throwing late in games," Rojas said of Brach. "He’s good matching up against righties, obviously really dominant."
Brach didn't appear in Tuesday's 2-1 loss to the Nationals.