Although mortality from Coronavirus has largely struck the elderly, as predicted, it's clear that no one is completely safe.
Wednesday, Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin announced that a six week old baby was among the city's first four COVID-19 deaths.
"Our hearts break for that family," said Bronin, "and our prayers are with the families of all of those who have lost loved ones and all of those affected."
Officials say that the infant was unconscious on arrival at the hospital. There's no word yet on how authorities believe he or she became infected.
Speaking in New Haven, Gov. Ned Lamont also acknowledged the baby's death:
"Probably the youngest person ever to die of COVID... it's a reminder that nobody is safe from this virus."
Still, 70 of the state's 85 fatalities were age 70 or older. (Mayor Bronin says that two of Hartford's other initial fatalities were over 70 years old, and the other was 50 or older.)
In its latest 24-hour count, the state reported 16 deaths.
While in New Haven, Gov. Lamont toured a makeshift medical facility installed by members of the Connecticut National Guard.
200 beds are now spaced out on the basketball floor at Southern Connecticut State University. They'll be available for patients recovering from the virus.
It's part of the state's wide-ranging plan to expand hospital space, for use as needed to handle the developing surge of cases.
The governor also says that testing has become more widely available. 16,600 people (3,557 positive) have now been tested. At this time last month, only a handful of tests had been completed across Connecticut.
"We have another major facility... they'll be able to do an additional 1,000 tests a day," said Lamont. He says that details on that facility will soon be released.
The state is also trying to acquire Abbott Labs' new 15-min. Coronavirus test, recently given the go-ahead by the Food and Drug Administration.