6 people from Michigan among those arrested amid riots at US Capitol

(WWJ) At least half-a-dozen Michigan residents were among nearly 70 people arrested in Washington DC on Wednesday, after supporters of President Donald Trump stormed the US Capitol.

Most of the Michiganders arrested were taken into custody for violating an emergency curfew, according to police, which went into effect at 6 p.m.

According to the Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia, Michigan residents 44-year-old Matthew Staley, 36-year-old Micah Femia, 44-year-old Shaun Floyd. 29-year-old Ryan Williams, were all arrested for curfew violations only.

John Parke, 64, was arrested for violating curfew and unlawful entry — although it's not yet clear if he was one of the people seen on video pushing past police into the Capitol — bringing a swift halt to Congressional proceedings.

A sixth Michigander, 25-year-old Logan Grimes, was arrested on charges of carrying a Pistol Without a License, possession of a Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device, and Possession of Unregistered Ammunition.

Despite attacks on police, arrests and the deaths of four people during ensuing riots, other Michiganders who traveled to DC to "Stop the Steal" rally, protesting Congress' pending certification of Electoral Votes in the Nov. 3 election, said they had a "great time."

Some of them traveled to D.C. together on buses that boarded in Novi, although it's yet unclear if any of those arrested were part of that group.

See the full list of people arrested, HERE.

A day later, Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow is among those calling for an investigation into how police handled what some call an insurrection at the Capitol.

"It was unacceptable that there was only one officer assigned to the top of the outside steps going onto the second floor of the Senate. Only one officer was stationed there, which is absurd, unexplainable," Stabenow said.

Photos showed members of Congress huddled on the floor in gas masks while rioters took selfies in staff chairs, grabbed furniture and snapped photos of classified documents.

Michigan Congressman Dan Kildee, who was on the House floor when it happened, said he found himself trapped.

"We got stuck. About 30 of us were up there, got stuck when the mob attacked the floor of the House," Rep. Kildee told WWJ Newsradio 950. "And it was not good. I've never been in a situation like that."

Kildee said he thought he hard gunfire, although it could have been tear gas or percussion grenades deployed by police.

Lawmakers were evacuated from the Capitol but later returned to finish their vote, confirming President-elect Joe Biden victory in the early morning hours Thursday.