A house fire in St. Tammany Parish injured 2 children near Waldheim.
The fire started in the early morning hours according to spokeswoman Ashley Rodrigue of the state Fire Marshal's Office.
A 12-year-old boy is being treated for smoke inhalation and burns at University Medical Center. His 11-year-old sister is being treated there for smoke inhalation. The children were spending the night with their grandfather, Rodrigue said.
A 911 call went out about 2 a.m. Tuesday from the grandfather. When firefighters arrived, the man and the girl were outside the house, but the boy had to be rescued by firefighters, she said.
The grandfather is being treated at a local hospital for a medical issue.
Smoke alarms were functioning in the house, located on Pat O'Brien Road, and alerted the family to the fire.