United States Attorney Peter G. Strasser announced on Friday the indictment of nine additional defendants bringing the total to twenty-eight charged for intentionally staging automobile accidents.
· Cornelius Gibson, age 54, of New Orleans, Louisiana
· Doniesha Gibson, age 29, of New Orleans, Louisiana
· Chandrika Brown, age 29, of Slidell, Louisiana
· Ishais Price, age 49, of New Orleans, Louisiana
· Aisha Thompson, age 42, of New Orleans, Louisiana
· DeWayne Coleman, age 21, of Marrero, Louisiana
· Donisesha Lee, age 30, of Harvey, Louisiana
· Donreion Lee, age 22, of Harvey, Louisiana
· Erica Lee Thompson, age 46, of Harvey, Louisiana.
These nine defendants were charged in a seven-count federal indictment with one count of Conspiracy to Commit Mail Fraud and six counts of Mail Fraud.
The indictment alleges that the defendants intentionally used vehicles to cause staged motor vehicle accidents with commercial carriers in order to defraud these carriers and their insurance companies.
If convicted, the defendants face a maximum penalty of five years for the conspiracy charge, 20 years for the mail fraud charge.
When released, each defendant can be placed on a term of supervised release for up to five years and fined up to $250,000.00 per count or twice the gross gain to the defendant of twice the gross loss to the victim.