State Fire Marshall urges safety when using generators

Numerous deaths after Laura, Sally prompts warning
Numerous deaths after Laura, Sally prompts warning
State Fire Marshall urges safety when using generators Photo credit Getty Images: Lex 20

The State Fire Marshal’s Office is reminding residents to keep safety in mind when utilizing portable generators.

“We have shared this message, at length, across southwest, central and north Louisiana following Hurricane Laura and the multiple carbon monoxide deaths that occurred after that disaster,” said State Fire Marshal Chief H. “Butch” Browning, “We shared it again for those in southeast Louisiana as Hurricane Sally was approaching. And now with Hurricane Delta likely impacting a significant portion of the state, we are asking all residents to educate yourselves about generator safety now.”

Generators produce carbon monoxide, which is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill without warning.
That’s why it’s also imperative to have a carbon monoxide detector for your home, especially if you plan on using a generator.

The following generator safety tips are simple, but effective in saving lives:

Do not place generators inside of any structure including garages, carports and sheds
Instead, place the generator at least 20 feet away from your home, down-wind away from open doors, windows and vents
Before refueling, turn the generator off and allow it to cool for 15-20 minutes
Never try to power the house wiring by plugging the generator into a wall outlet Instead, use a heavy-duty, outdoor extension cord to plug appliances into generators
Do not use in rain or wet conditions
Have a fire extinguisher nearby
Have a carbon monoxide monitor for your home