Trump approves Gov. Edwards’ federal assistance request ahead of Zeta

image

President Donald Trump quickly approves Governor John Bel Edwards’ request for Federal Assistance ahead of Hurricane Zeta making landfall.

Governor Edwards submitted his request for federal hurricane response aid Tuesday evening and it was approved by President Trump and FEMA just hours later.

“I appreciate the President’s quick approval of our request for an emergency declaration, especially since Hurricane Zeta has strengthened overnight,” Gov. Edwards said. “This assistance will be critical in responding to this hurricane, assisting local governments and beginning our long-term recovery efforts. Louisiana has faced an incredibly active hurricane season this year, and we have been working in partnership with the federal government and local officials since March on the response to the pandemic in addition to two major hurricanes in Southwest Louisiana.”

The approval means direct Federal assistance will be available for parish residents in Acadia, Allen, Ascension, Assumption, Beauregard, Calcasieu, Cameron, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Livingston, Lafayette, Lafourche, Orleans, Plaquemines, Pointe Coupee, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St.
Helena, St. James, St. John the Baptist, St. Landry, St. Martin, St. Mary, St.
Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, Vermilion, Washington, West Baton Rouge, and West Feliciana.

Limited FEMA assistance will be available for parish residents in Avoyelles, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Caldwell, Catahoula, Claiborne, Concordia, DeSoto, East Carroll, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, La Salle, Lincoln, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, Tensas, Union, Vernon, Webster, West Carroll, and Winn.

The federal assistance is given on a 75% federal basis meaning the state of Louisiana will have to pay the remaining 25%.